No title

Grammar Lesson: Using "should" or "shouldn't"



"Should" or "Shouldn't" - Use

  • We use should and shouldn't to give advice or to talk about what we think is right or wrong.
  • You should means something like I think it is a good idea for you to do it.
  • You shouldn't means something like I think it is a bad idea for you to do it.
  • Should is used to express the opinion of a speaker and often follows I think or I don't think.
For example:
  1. You look tired. I think you should take a few days off.
  2.  Alice works very long hours. She should to talk to her boss.
      A: I have an English test tomorrow.
      B: I shouldn't worry if I were you. You have worked really hard.
     
      A: I never have enough money.
      B: I don't think you should go out so much.

"Should" or "Shouldn't" - Quick Grammar Note


To give advice to someone you can also say:
  • I should do it if I were you.
  • I shouldn't be so rude, if I were you.
When you regret not doing something in the past, you can say:
  • I shouldn't have spoken to him like that.
  • I should have apologized earlier. 

"Should" or "Shouldn't" - Practice


Click the button for practice!


LBPP LIA SEMARANG CANDI

Starting from October 2009, LIA SEMARANG CANDI blog was launched. The content of the blog will be about all kinds of activities done both by students in class or outside class, and teacher's development. Wish you all who visit the blog will reap the benefits from it. Please leave your comment for further development of the blog. Thank you very much.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulir Kontak