Teaching technique for substitute teacher


By Indra Gunawan

One day, when I was in standby, I was doing some preparations for the following lesson; suddenly the AOO came up and told that I was supposed to substitute the absent teacher. It was like a sudden death match. Within five minutes whether I like or not, prepared or not, I should be ready to teach. Not to mention I really had no single idea which material I was going to teach. It was totally blank.  That was one of my unpleasant situations. When everything should be prepared, unfortunately not everything goes as we expect to be. Perhaps many teachers share the same problem. And you might get something from it.

 Here I would like to share what I did on that circumstance. Within five minutes I should be ready with everything before entering the class. In the first place I took five pieces of blank paper, then I cut them into smaller size with the same number as the students’ then divided them equally, with assumption the number of the student was even, luckily at that time I got odd number of students. I had 15 students therefore I divided them into 7 and 8 students; however, the paper should be 8 pieces for each group. Before I distributed the slip, I wrote down the vocabulary items from the text book, one word for each pieces of the slip. For one group I used black marker to write the word while the other I used blue marker. Next I got individual student to present his vocabulary before their friend. Earlier they performed; I prompted some introduction words before they presented their vocabulary on the white board.

It said” Hello friends I would like to tell you about my word (vandalism)                       
 Vandalism means…..”
I told them they could look up the dictionary or simply google on the net but they could not open their text book. I did not comment at all as they were performing in front of their class. After all of the students were all done with their word presentation, and then I gave some feedbacks and correction. Soon they understood, and then I wrote all the words on the whiteboard and drilled them. I then asked them from the all vocabularies what they were going to study. To practice the words, which they had learnt, I divided the students into two big groups; group black and group blue. Still with the same slip, I had them guess the words from the other group how many slips from the other group they could collect in 10 minutes. After that I opened the text book and explored it. In the end I summed up the lesson by scattering all the slips on the floor and then I had them hunt the slip which I said the definition of the vocabulary earlier. The individual student who got the most slips then he would be the winner.
That’s all that I can share. When we have no plan B. Hopefully it comes in handy when we share the same shoes.



LBPP LIA SEMARANG CANDI

Starting from October 2009, LIA SEMARANG CANDI blog was launched. The content of the blog will be about all kinds of activities done both by students in class or outside class, and teacher's development. Wish you all who visit the blog will reap the benefits from it. Please leave your comment for further development of the blog. Thank you very much.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulir Kontak