A Silly Misunderstanding

*just a joke*

Teaching has been my passion for about a decade. Meeting students, sharing ideas, joking and others are things I always adore. Yet, there are times when I got blue in my face when I’ve got to explain grammar—something that doesn’t exist in Indonesian. I always feel like talking to myself when it comes to what so called participial adjective, appositives, gerund, you name it. Not to mention the way I pronounce, sometimes made my students giggle or even roll out laughter. Ok, here is the story.

Last night, I taught Toefl Preparation Class. I think this class is a bit special since the majority of the students lack of grammar understanding. Therefore, I made some preparations to teach structure: a glass of water (thanks God, the class is at 19-21). And I was ready to sing ‘rap’ to them due to many bla bla bla to make them understood. But, one thing that was out of my expectation happened. It’s not the structure that mattered but my pronunciation that made them gaze each other and chuckle.

I was in the middle of explaining about collective nouns and what verbs should follow them. According to the book, collective nouns can be followed by either singular verb or plural verb. Collective nouns are followed by singular verb when they refer to something as a whole. Take an example: The army is ready to attack. The group band is on stage now. Army and band are collective nouns that should be followed by singular verb. However, when collective nouns refer to member or person in the collective nouns, plural verbs take place. The band are tuning their musical instrument. The reading public have been a problem in society due to illiteracy.

“So, students, please pay attention to the collective nouns, whether it refers to the noun AS A WHOLE or refers to one by one member of the collective nouns.” I ended my bubbling explanation.

At glance, I heard some students giggle in the middle of my presentation. And as I ended my bubbling explanation, their giggle turned out to be laughter. I stared at some particular students who couldn’t help laughing and asked them why. Then I realized that they didn’t get what I pronounce as AS A WHOLE but they got it as ASS HOLE. *pass out*

It should be STIE AS-Sholeh

Written by Ms. Lala

LBPP LIA SEMARANG CANDI

Starting from October 2009, LIA SEMARANG CANDI blog was launched. The content of the blog will be about all kinds of activities done both by students in class or outside class, and teacher's development. Wish you all who visit the blog will reap the benefits from it. Please leave your comment for further development of the blog. Thank you very much.

1 Comments

  1. : LOL... XDDDD
    yeah it's funny story, yup sometime we need to write in d board even in da speaking class... it makes students easier in understanding...

    but, here, am LOL coz of da pic.
    why u gave example wid dat picture? hihiiii.. it's beside of my hoz.... wkwkwkkkk, finally everybody knows my small hometown.... XDDDD
    ...
    it's in Pemalang.
    well, i'll tell to d'owner :P

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Formulir Kontak